Thursday 9 January 2014

CONFIRMED: Arsenal starlet Chuba Akpom seals loan switch




ARSENAL striker Chuba Akpom has completed his loan move to title chasing League One side Brentford, it was revealed today.




Arsenal, Arsenal starlet Chuba Akpom [GETTY]
Akpom has been in fine form for the Arsenal academy sides this season, netting a hat-trick in the team's 6-1 victory over Peterborough in the FA Youth Cup fourth round on Monday evening and scoring three goals in four games in the Uefa Youth League in 2013.
The 18-year-old has been a keyman in Steve Bould’s youth set-up, making 15 appearances and scoring twice and is now wanted by the two battling League One clubs.
The forward made his first-team debut September against Sunderland but has featured just once since for Arsene Wenger’s side versus West Brom in the Capital One Cup fourth round.
The Gunners wished their young star well, posting on the team's official website: "In joining the Bees, Akpom follows in the footsteps of Wojciech Szczesny, who spent six successful months on loan with the club in 2009/10.
"Everyone at Arsenal wishes Chuba well for his time with Brentford."
The young striker is also part of the England youth international setup and scored three goals in four games at the 2011 Nordic Tournament with the Under-17s.
Brentford are currently top of League One [GETTY]
“Everyone at Arsenal wishes Chuba well for his time with Brentford”
Arsenal statement
Akpom signed his first professional contract with the club in November 2012, saying at the time: "My whole family was there and I spoke with Mr Wenger.
"He told me that he’d been watching me play and liked what I do, but said I should be scoring more headed goals – so I suppose he set me another challenge there and then.
"It was a proud day for me and my family, who were there to share in the occasion with me, but I know that this is just the beginning."

No comments:

Post a Comment